Regular theme/plugin updates and backups are needed as WordPress, themes, and plugins are all revised periodically for security and bug fixes. It can be tricky for Clients to do the updates, so there are a few options for you:
- Do the updates yourself: Log into your WordPress Dashboard at least once a week and click any update buttons. Here is a great guide for doing it: http://easywpguide.com/wordpress-manual/keeping-your-site-updated/
- If something goes wrong (rarely, but sometimes), you can hire me to fix it at my rate of $85/hour.
- Hire a dedicated maintenance company that offers this service (and more!); some are listed in this recent blogpost: http://winningwp.com/best-wordpress-maintenance-and-support-services/.
- I offer a maintenance plan at a reasonable price*, paid annually*, that will cover weekly maintenance of WordPress, theme, and plugins. Contact me for more information.
* Offered only for sites that I have built.